The Lancia Stratos is one of the most iconic rally cars celebrated by rally fans around the globe! This 1977 Lancia Stratos HF Group IV rally has been modified for competition purposes in the 70s and after a thorough restoration, the car is now with its lucky new owner.
Becoming a true rally icon
For rally fans, the Lancia Stratos HF Group IV is one of the most iconic cars with three consecutive wins in the World Rally Championship in 1974-1976. As Lancia only built a total of 492 cars between 1973-1978, and many of them have been used for competition, the already rare Lancia Stratos is becoming increasingly difficult to find. The eye-catching model with the mid-mounted engine weighs just 900-950 kg and has a power output between 275-560 hp depending on the set-up.
Lancia Stratos HF Group IV rally car
This 1977 model received its HF Group IV rally modifications in the 70s and has a well-documented and impressive competition history. In 1979 the car was competing in rally events with Italian rally driver Francesco Ferretti behind the wheel. In order to avoid Francesco’s parents from learning about his activities, he raced under the nickname “Ragastas” which means ‘naughty boy’ in Italian. The final year of competition for the car was in 1982 where the livery of the car was changed according to main sponsor ‘Blue Mirror’ (textile company).
The 1977 Lancia Stratos was in the hands of private collectors in Europe before arriving in England. The British owner sent the car off to the Ferrari and Dino specialists Barkaways in Kent to get the engine and gearbox rebuilt with new pistons, crankshaft, valves etc. The period-correct ‘Blue Mirror’ specimen is now in the hands of a new lucky owner.
- 1977 HF Stradale finished in Acrylic Blue
- Mid-mounted Dino Ferrari V6 engine
- Power output: unknown (but somewhere between 275-560 hp)
- Avana Alcantara seats
- Sereno Carpets
- Scocca (bodyshell) completed in January 1975
- Upgraded to Group IV specification for competition purposes by the first
- owner (upgrade by University Motors)
- Restoration in 2015 by Ferrari and Dino restoration specialists, Barkaways in Kent, UK
- Full engine and gearbox rebuild
- New dashboard wiring
- Recreation of the 1982 ‘Blue Mirror’ livery
- FIA Historic Technical Passport from 2018
- Chassis no. 829AR0 001873
Price on the Lancia Stratos HF Group IV rally car
In 2019, RM Sothebys auctions sold a 1975 Lancia Stratos HF Stradale by Bertone for EUR 545,000.
The car from Girardo has been sold – price unknown.