The team at Ironwood produces some of the world’s best BMW R-Series bobbers. This 1982 BMW R100 cafe racer in Porsche Pasha Red is no exception! The super stylish low-slung bobber signals good taste and has a long list of upgrades…
1982 Four-valve BMW R100 café racer with Krauser upgrade
For this build, a regular Ironwood (IWC) customer brought in a very special 1982 four-valve BMW R100. Already from the start, the bike had a full Krauser upgrade complete with four-valve heads. Instead of tuning the motor, the team focused on turning the bike into one of the best 1982 BMW R100s café racers we have ever seen!
A timeless classic with Porsche inspiration
The new design includes a long list of modern upgrades and improvements. At the same time, the attention to detail that has gone into the build is really remarkable. Especially the colour combination and each of the new top-quality components makes the café racer a true timeless classic.
Related: Do you know how to maintain your motorcycle chain?
Due to the customer being a huge BMW and Porsche fan, the experts at Royal Kustom Works transformed the bike with an original Porsche Pasha Red. When the colour was introduced by Porsche in the 1950s, it was paired with tan leather. Therefore, the combination has been brought back to life with a new solo seat with gorgeous tan leather upholstery.
Upgrading from the 80s to the latest technology
While the new paint job got rid of the original 1980s look, Ironwood still needed to make a lot of changes. First, the entire bike was re-wired and the original fuel tank was swapped for a smaller one. This was done to make the look more compact and free up space around the new seat. Secondly, custom pieces like the new fenders with hand-made struts and the crankcase breather tube were fitted. Finally the great-looking gold details were added.
One of the most amazing pieces on the BMW R100 café racer is the custom exhaust system by The Custom Factory. It’s a unique two-into-one system with aggressive-looking Ixil muffler (originally designed for the Yamaha XSR700).
The list of details and features is almost overwhelming. In addition there is the leather-covered battery box and the bike even has several small leather cable holders! The combination of all the clever solutions makes the bike something really special. Furthermore, it’s great to see how each part contributes to the overall design and look of the bike. For us, that’s the greatest achievement by Ironwood. If we had to pick just one of the IWC bikes to see in real life, this R100 would definitely be the one.
- Donor bike: 1982 four-valve BMW R100 with full Krauser upgrade including heads, Nikasil barrels and electronic ignition
- Original /7 fuel tank swapped for smaller /5 unit
- New solo seat by Miller Kustom Upholstery
- Custom fenders with hand-made struts
- New rear shocks from TFX
- Front forks from Öhlins (from an Aprilla Tuono)
- Stock wheels with new Continental Classic Attack tires
- Front brakes upgraded to Brembo (320 mm discs)
- Krauser tuned engine kept original on the inside – cleaned and re-painted black with gold valve covers
- Mikuni TM40 flat side carbs
- DNA filters with pod filters and gold tops featuring the Ironwood logo
- Custom crankcase breather tube (gold)
- Custom exhaust system by Marcel van der Stelt – The Custom Factory: stainless steel two-into-one system with aggressive-looking Ixil muffler
- Complete re-wiring
- Motogadget m-unit control box
- LED lights and Koso ‘Thunderbolt’ headlight
- Kellermann taillight/turn signal combos
- Motogadget cockpit components: speedometer (integrated into a custom-machined top yoke), switches, grips, bar-end turn signals and mirrors
- Grips wrapped in the same leather as the seat (CNC-machined clip-ons)
- Leather battery box
- Paint job: Porsche Pasha Red (Royal Kustom Works)
Bike design by: @gpantwerp
Price: Price unknown.
The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide For Motorcycle Gear:
- Best Motorcycle Backpacks
- Coolest Motorcycle Aviator Goggles
- Motorcycle Ankle Boots
- GUIDE: Gear For A Motorcycle Roadtrip
- Top-10 Retro Motorcycle Gloves
- Best Black Leather Jackets
- Carbon Fiber Open Face Helmets