British motorcycle racer Guy Martin loves everything with an engine – especially this 27 liter Rolls-Royce aero engine. Learn why Guy Martin is so excited about this masterpiece – and watch him fire up the 1600 hp “ultimate of engines”!
Guy Martin’s fascination of the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine
Guy Martin is known for his racing and engineering skills and his enthusiasm for engines is contagious. After searching for 4 years, Guy Martin finally found the right Rolls-Royce Merlin engine for sale and bought it. His fascinated of the massive 27 liter engine from the 1940s includes all mechanical pieces, the craftsmanship and the sheer power that made the Spitfire go faster and higher – up to 350 miles/hour!
Warning: “the last time it took off”
At 2,800 revs the engine produces 1,600 hp and when Guy Martin pushed the engine for the first time, it suddenly took off in the workshop. He describes the experience as: “the most scared I have ever been”, and that’s coming from a racing legend who has participated in the Isle of Man 14 times!
The Rolls-Royce Merlin engine
The Rolls-Royce Merlin engine was installed in the Supermarine Spitfire, American Mustang, Hawker Hurricane and four of them in the Avro Lancaster bomber. As one of the most successful aircraft engines of the World War II era, the engine is highly respected today. There are also examples of the engine being installed in cars – one of them Jay Leno’s 1934 Rolls Royce.
Specifications of the Rolls-Royce Merlin aero engine
- V-12 piston
- 27 liter
- 350 miles/h (spitfire)
- 1600 HP at 2,800 revs
- 1 gallon of fuel per minute
- Weight: approx. 1 ton
- Built in 1933
- Used in the Supermarine Spitfire and Hawker Hurricane
- 4 engines were used for the Avro Lancaster bomber
Guy Martin facts:
- Born November 1981
- Named after Guy Gibson of No. 617 Squadron RAF.
- Started racing in 1998
- Isle of Man TT: 14 competitions – 17 podium places
- Broken his back twice in racing accidents
- TV presenter since 2011 – best known for “Speed with Guy Martin”
- Turned down an invitation from Chris Evans to join the new presenting team of BBC’s Top Gear.
- In August 2017, Formula 1 car team Williams announced that Martin would join their pit-crew for the Belgian GP
- Has written three books about his life