It’s no secret that we at Old News Club are huge fans of Ironwood Custom Motorcycles. The Dutch company is well-known for building great-looking classic BMWs and the new modified BMW R1250 GS named “Dominator” is no exception!
This modified BMW R1250 GS is crazy, aggressive, bold, clean and beyond different!
The Dutch bike builders from Ironwood Custom Motorcycles have worked together with BMW Motorrad Netherlands and TW Steel on their latest build. The starting point was a brand-new BMW R1250 GS but they have turned it into something from another planet…or the future if you will. As Founder Arjan van den Boom describes, the new Dominator is sort of “DeLorean meets Tesla Cybertruck, Bladerunner VS Tron”. Arjan took on the challenge creating an extraordinary custom bike and matching timepiece in alignment with BMW’s decade of dominance. Ironwood would craft the motorcycle while TW Steel developed the watch.
A radical design to break the rules
The original BMW R1250 GS required heavy prototyping, many custom solutions and creative thinking from start to finish. Arjan explains the process:” Together with Head Mechanic Chiel, I began with some rough sketches. Prototyping and sampling with hard lines on paper, we tried to scope our thoughts into something crazy, aggressive, bold, clean and beyond different. I mean radical with a capital R ”.
Custom build with BMW OEM replacement parts
Ironwood’s starting point was based on race DNA and they modeled the GS into a completely different looking bike. “We embraced the BMW GS front telelever system and replaced the fork tubes with a one-of-a-kind custom-made set of carbon fiber tubes from CeraCarbon and a tailored TFX Suspension shock absorber. Representing TFX on the rear too, both absorbers with springs coated in candy blue”, Arjan continues. In the process, the team tried to stick to BMW OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) replacement parts, like the Option 719 valve & engine covers, the S1000RR tail light and the S1000XR front led.
The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide For Motorcycle Gear:
Design features of the “Dominator”
The Dominator demands attention with it’s bold and futuristic look. The design is both clean and aggressive and it’s evident that a lot of time, creativity and craftsmanship have gone into the build. As an example, more than 100 hours have been invested in shaping the aluminum bits & pieces that create the sleek and hard-lined bodywork.
The tank is a piece of art in itself. The hard lines are accentuated by the radical paintwork, while the top part oozes craftsmanship. Sitting pretty amidst the remarkable upholstery is a TW Steel watch which was crafted alongside the bike. Every detail plays a role in completing the design from nose to tail and the distinct design makes it look like a dream bike sent from the future. No doubt that we would like to travel in time on this one!
- Frame re-coated from white into anthracite
- Custom bodywork
- Custom gas tank
- Custom seat upholstery by Silvermachine, same on dash and grips
- Custom rear subframe
- Custom segmented stainless-steel exhaust pipes (no muffler)
- Custom segmented stainless-steel inlet pipes
- Integrated TW Steel watch in bike middle console
- Custom rear set brackets
- Custom CNC milled top yoke/clamp
- Clip-ons instead of a handlebar
- Custom shock absorbers front and rear by TFX suspension
- Custom made carbon front fork by CeraCarbon
- HC3 brake pump & clutch pump by Magura
- BMW RnineT rear sets
- BMW RnineT air filters with custom engraving by DNA
- BMW Option 719 CNC milled aluminum valve and engine covers
- BMW R1250R Brembo brake calipers with additional orange linings
- BMW front led from S1000XR
- BMW S1000rr rear light 2018
- Relocated ignition lock and TFT screen
- Racetec RR Rain tires by Metzeler in 120/70R17 front and 190/60R17 rear
- Forged 17-inch carbon wheels by Rotobox, model Bullet. R1250RS specs
onto the R1250GS.