The highly respected German car manufacturer RUF Automobile has joined forces with NEZUMI Studios to create a unique timepiece. The racing-inspired chronograph is made in a special edition – limited to 200 and each individually numbered.
Limited edition RUF watch
The NEZUMI specials ref. VQ2S.901 is a limited and numbered watch made in collaboration between NEZUMI Studios and Mrs. and Mr. Ruf, proprietors of the highly respected German car manufacturer RUF Automobile. The racing-inspired chronograph has a vintage design with the RUF logo in yellow and a matte green dial in the official RUF colour. It’s a timepiece that celebrates a common passion for cars, design and timepieces.
Unique collaboration between RUF Automobile and NEZUMI Studios
This is the first time that RUF has made a watch collaboration. The unique collaboration started with an employee at RUF Automobile buying a watch from Nezumi Studios. This sparked a conversation about cars and evolved to Mrs. Estonia Ruf calling designer and Founder of NEZUMI Studios, David Campo.
Both of them are watch enthusiasts and with a shared passion for Porsche, a special bond was created and the idea for a RUF timepiece born.
A shared passion for air-cooled Porsche 911s
Since he was a kid growing up in the US, David Campo has been fascinated by Porsche. His first car after getting his license was a 1982 Porsche 911 SC and the trusted workhorse still sits in his garage today. David remembers RUF from playing Gran Turismo on his PlayStation but as he explains: “they have just always been there – you can’t miss out RUF Automobile”! Over the years, David has restored and built a few Porsche 911s himself and for him it’s all about the design and modifications coming together for a specific build. “I have great respect for RUF Automobile and share their passion for both Porsche and design”, David says. His Porsche passion has grown into a community of like-minded enthusiasts in his air-cooled classic Porsche club, Roughneck Brigade.
A classic racing-inspired chronograph
The choice for the RUF timepiece was the NEZUMI Studios chronograph Voiture which is French for car. Together with Mrs. Estonia Ruf, the racing-inspired chronograph was given the official RUF green with a yellow logo as a reference to the iconic Yellowbird, that put RUF on the world map in the 80s. The vintage design of the watch is inspired by racing chronographs from the 60s and 70s and has styling cues from some of the most iconic timepieces of the era. The matte green dial is a reference to the RUF SCR and has a sun-bleached look to fit the retro feel.
RUF Yellowbird and the legendary video “Fascination at the Nurburgring”
In 1987, RUF and Mr. Alois Ruf Jr. made world news as their RUF CTR achieved a top speed of 339 km/h. The legendary car was named the world’s fastest production car of the time and was also the first to break the 200 mph barrier! The CTR with the nickname “Yellowbird” was a great success and RUF followed up with the video “Fascination at the Nurburgring” where viewers for the first time could experience a high-speed lap on the race track.
Even though the video was released on VHS, it is said to be one of the first viral videos. In 2017, RUF Automobile revealed a CTR Anniversary edition – of course still in the iconic yellow that many associates with RUF.
The limited and numbered RUF watch by NEZUMI Studios is your chance to own a piece of automotive history.
Specifications of the NEZUMI Specials VQ2S.901
- Limited to 200 watches
- Individually numbered on case back
- Made in Germany
- Official RUF Automobile colors and logo
DIAL & HANDS
- Matte RUF green dial, off-white & black sub dials
- Polished hour/minute hands, yellow chronograph hand, black & off-white sub dial hands
- Swiss Luminova on steel hands and indices
- Double domed genuine sapphire crystal glass with AR ( anti reflective ) coating on the inside.
- Brushed/polished 316L Stainless Steel case
- Diameter: 40mm excluding crown
- Lug to lug: 47mm
- Total height incl. domed sapphire glass: 13mm
- Height excl. glass: 11.25mm
- Lug width: 20mm
- Fixed bezel with a Tachymetre scale insert, satin black with silver markings
- Push down crown with N logo
- Screw down machined case back with branding
- Waterproof to 5 ATM
- VK63 mecha-quartz hybrid movement by Seiko
The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide For Watch Collectors:
- Best Canvas and Leather Watch Rolls
- The Best Watch Winders For One Watch
- Our Top 10 Best Watch Wooden Watch Boxes
- Guide: Watch Straps For Summer
- 7 Great Watch Stands To Display Your Favorite Timepiece
- Guide: How Does A Chronograph Work?
- How to Use a Tachymeter and Telemeter
- 8 Books About Watches & Watchmaking