The collaboration between motorcycle brand Harley-Davidson and Swiss watchmaker Bucherer has resulted in the spectacular ‘Blue Edition’ cruiser. Get the full story below about the world’s most expensive motorcycle that took over 2.500 hours to complete!
The ‘Blue Edition’ Harley-Davidson by Bucherer
The ‘Blue Edition’ cruiser is the work of Swiss custom Harley-Davidson workshop Bündnerbike. The Swiss watchmaker Bucherer asked them to create the bike for their 130th anniversary and the promotion of a Blue Edition range of 16 watches. The exclusive collection of timepieces is created in a corporation with 11 renowned watch manufacturers such as Hublot, Chopard, IWC, Tudor and Vacheron Constantin.
The world’s most expensive motorcycle
The Swiss custom bike shop Bündnerbike has completely transformed the Harley-Davidson Softail S from 2017. The rebuilding process included exchanging even the smallest parts and bolts – in fact, Bündnerbike has produced, welded, beaten, grounded and polished every metal element on the bike by hand!
The impressive build took more than 2,500 hours to complete and consist of many unique solutions and secret items – like the coating method used for the intense, iridescent blue hue.
Combining custom bike design and the art of fine watchmaking
Many of the details combine custom bike design with the art of fine watchmaking – like the adaptation of the Bucherer Dizzler rotating ring that now sits at the end of the handlebars. “To ensure that the rings really do stay in place, a special method that guarantees absolutely secure fixation was employed. How it works will remain a secret of the Bündnerbike workshop.” Says Managing Director Jürg Ludwig Jr.
“The watch holder doubles as a winder, meaning that the watch stays wound and running even when the bike is in the garage.”
Incorporated into the bike design are also two separate safes that contain a Heaven six-prong solitaire ring with a 5.40 carat diamond and a unique Carl F. Bucherer watch decorated with elements of a motorbike engine.
VIDEO: How the bike was made
Modifications/Specifications of the Harley-Davidson Blue Edition Cruiser:
- Built by Swiss custom shop Bündnerbike
- Over 2,500 hours to complete
- Every metal element is produced, welded, beaten, grounded and polished by hand
- Adapted Dizzler rotating ring fitted to the handlebars
- Addition of 350 diamonds
- Gold-plated screws
- Dual integrated kinetic-winding safes with a one-of-a-kind watch and finely crafted rings inside
- Secret coating method to achieve the intense iridescent blue paint
- First in the world: the motor is lit up from the inside
- The rotating camshaft, valve control and the gold-plated throttle valves are made visible through a window and illuminated by heat-proof LED lamps
- A Carl F. Bucherer watch is integrated into a safe on the right-hand side of the tank. The dial on the unique timepiece is decorated with elements of a motorbike engine.
- Armored glass dome retractable safe with a Heaven six-prong solitaire ring including a 5.40 carat diamond.
- Hand-made cowhide saddle
Price: $1,882,090 USD / CHF 1,888,000
More information on the watches:
The Bucherer Blue Editions celebrate technical innovation and are creative masterpieces that showcase superior quality. Prices start at CHF 965 for the Tissor T-Classic Chemin des Tourelles and continue to CHF 275,000 for the Vacheron Constantin Tradfitionelle 14-Day Tourbillon.
Related: The ultimate chronograph watch guide